Friday, April 07, 2006

The pyramids at Giza

Today I got up early (still three hours ahead of local time) at visited the great pyramids at Giza, a suburb southwest of Cairo. I took a city bus and got there 30 minutes before it opened and before any other tourists. To give you an idea of how few independent travellers there are here: I was the only tourist on the city bus, but within half an hour after it opened, there was a line of tour coaches creeping up to the pyramids.
The pyramids were amazing. We were driving through a suburb, when suddenly I saw one of the pyramids looming in front of me. It was a wierd feeling seeing them, sort of like seeing the Angkor temples. These were built four and a half thousand years ago.
Tonight I am headed down to Aswan on the overnight train. I have signed up for a five-day tour that will take me on a the Nile river from Aswan down to Luxor.

No comments: