Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"And it's one, two, three...what're we fightin' for?"

"...You know I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam!"
I'm headed to 'Nam tomorrow morning, Saigon to be exact. Phnom Penh -- what an interesting city. I visited the US Embassy a couple days ago and spent an hour watching the interesting folks that stepped up to the window. There were a lot of engaged couples who had been introduced through acquaintences back in the States and had just met face-to-face in the past month. Very interesting, indeed. Ah, love, 'tis a wonderful and strange thing. Well, mostly strange, anyways...
I visited the Foreign Correspondent's Club yesterday and enjoyed dinner with a nice view of the Tonle Sap and the riverside drive in the evening. I have to admit that I have not been too bowled over by Cambodian cuisine, but I think it's been ruined by a decade of civil war and poverty. It's like a less spicy version of Thai food.
I find myself arguing with mototaxi drivers over the agreed fare of rides around this town on half of my trips. It's a con game they play because I think they're able to tweak a little more money from tourists. Not me. I haven't budged at all, and they scream and howl and cry, and gather other Cambodians around me to complain about me, but I am totally immune to that
sort of treatment. I know I'm paying twice what the locals are paying already. I find a secret satisfaction when I walk away and they're displeased. I haven't felt like this since Indonesia.

No comments: