Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 653: Welcome home

After one year, nine months, and fifteen days, I returned to San Diego. My luggage is somewhere between Philadelphia and San Diego. With all the extra security with checking in, I did not have any carry-on luggage, so there is a chance I have lost everything. How ironic it would be that after travelling through lands perceived to be unsafe and dangerous, I would lose my luggage in the States.
At the Philadelphia International Airport customs gate, unsurprisingly, they tagged me for luggage inspection. The officer at the passport control didn't believe that I didn't buy a single souvenir. At three different times, I was asked if I had really been gone for almost 22 months, and when I replied "yes", the inquistor gave me a dumb look and asked, "why?" (to which I would reply, "to see the world," with an equally dumb look). The follow-up question was, "How did you get the money?" (I saved money instead of spending it), followed by, "You went to Syria? (or 'Pakistan?') How was that?" (very friendly immigration officers; they love Americans). It was amusing, and I was actually a little giddy being back. The lines at the security gates were long but brisk as they had been in London.
Being at home, seeing my parents and Kevin, it is great and comfortable -- it is like I never left. I've got a lot of stuff to do over the next few days (and weeks).

7 comments:

Bro. Ken said...

Wonderful Site Eric! I only found it a couple of months ago and many of us at my work found it very interesting. The Bosnia and Croatia where especially liked because many of my co-workers had served there under Military Rotos. I am currently stationed at 22 Wing, North Bay, Ontario... Which is part of the NORAD mission.

I'm getting out of the military soon, and will be heading on my own world journey. Starting in Paris in October. I wonder if you have any good tips on budget travel? What gear did you take with you and did you have a set plan for travel with pre-arranged visas? I'm just going to float around, no particular plans but I've never dealt with visas and such before.

I bet it feels strange finally coming back home!

Anonymous said...

so! eric! fighter!
what on earth could your plans be now????

it's a shame you couldn't make it to berlin, it's a fine place and you would probably like it. maybe on your next trip.

very much enjoyed the site, thank you for keeping the travelling-heartsick-fire burning for those who have to remain home for vain reasons.

best of luck for you and H E L L O from germany,
sandra

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Eric! If you are not too tired of traveling we'd love to see you on the 14th of October for the wedding!

The kids say hello!

Mary Vickrey

Roberts (scotia bastad) said...

Looks like you've been back 2 months already. Let us all know what you're up to now. How has it felt to be home etc. You rock dude! Mark.

Roberts (scotia bastad) said...

Hmm. My comment has been blocked by the moderator. Don't know why. I'll try again.......
Dude you rock! Please let us know what you're up to now and how it's felt being home for the last 2 months. YF, Mark.

CharlieBrown8989 said...

Hello Eric.

I wrote a testimonial on your flickr profile.

For your approval please.

Thanks.....

Bro. Ken said...

Hey Bro,

Are you ever going to update this blog again? :) I still have it in my RSS feeds but its been since 2006 since the last update lol.

I don't know about you, but I found it quite a shock coming back to the "real" world once again. I think it's been over six months and I still don't feel normal.

Ken