Thursday, June 08, 2006

Touchdown Europa!

I made it across Asia minor to the European landmass this morning. It was a beautiful sunrise on the ferry coming to Istanbul. I took the overnight bus from Selçuk to Istanbul last night, and arrived tired and stumbling through Sultanahmet, the old city quarter of Istanbul. I passed by the Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque like I was here yesterday and found myself a dorm bed at the Orient Youth Hostel. Within an hour I had traded for a Europe on a Shoestring LP book and crashed out for a nap.
Wandering around the city and seeing the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus, I realized it was too much to bear not having a good camera, so I think I will get ripped off today and buy another one.
This city is amazing with minarets filling the skyline and three bodies of water. Still, I think I will be headed to Bulgaria soon.

No comments: