Sunday, June 18, 2006

Citadel streets in Sighisoara


Citadel streets in Sighisoara
Originally uploaded by bastchild.

From Bucharest, I took a train to Transylvania, stopping in the small town of Sighisoara. It is supposed to be the birthplace of Vlad Tepes, whom later was known as Vlad the Impaler, whom Bram Stoker then fictionally made his "Dracula". A lot of the tourism in Romania is based around Transylvania and the legend of Dracula. I walked into a store in Sighisoara looking for postcards and there were two women. One woman spoke to me and showed me the postcards, but the other one stood near the entrance to the store, just inside, away from the sunlight. I swear she had sharpened incisors, had high cheekbones, and was wearing a high-collared shirt and jacket on a hot day. Moments later, as I was walking down the street I saw abnormally pale-looking laborers bringing loads into a renovated building. All the other laborers in this country are wrinkly and very tan. Legend or not, I added plenty of garlic to my pasta dinner that night.

No comments: