Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Shalom and Salaam Aleikum!


After waiting for five hours at the Israeli passport control at the Allenby/King Hussein border crossing, I am in Jerusalem! Most people get through the passport control quickly, but they had some problems with my passport as I had been to Pakistan. I guess some would call that racists, and some others would call that survival. In any event, I am here in the Old City, living in the Muslim Quarter. It is beautiful here! Everything is built from beautiful white stone including the streets. Stumbling through the Old City this afternoon, I came upon the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Completely ignorant, I wandered in and just took some pictures of the sombre place. I looked it up in my guidebook -- it's where some Christians believe Christ was crucified. The Old City is divided into a Christian, Armenian, Muslim, and Jewish Quarter. It's like Berlin during the Cold War! It's not too busy here, but there are a few pilgrims visiting the holy sites.

No comments: