Thursday, April 13, 2006

View from my room in Aswan


View from my room in Aswan
Originally uploaded by bastchild.

The overnight train ride to Aswan was fine. In fact, travelling in the massive first-class cabin was excellent aside from the young Brit that wouldn't shut up. It was cold enough at night for me to break out my raincoat and my long-sleeve shirt that I had bought in Cairo earlier that day.
I wasn't "picked up" at the train station so I walked half a mile to the hotel that I was to check in at. The problem was that it was closed for renovations. Uh-oh. I ended up calling my contact number and they picked me up somewhere downtown and took me to the right hotel. They said they couldn't find me at the station (but that was a load of crap). I had a sinking feeling about this package trip already and things weren't getting better!
I was given a nice enough room with a good view. There was even a pool on the rooftop, so it wasn't that bad.
Naively, I signed up for an additional trip to Abu Simbel, a temple out in the desert, for more than double what I should have paid for. I was getting more and more pissed with this package tour, but more pissed with myself for getting duped.

No comments: