Thursday, March 16, 2006

Heading to Ko Chang


Heading to Ko Chang
Originally uploaded by bastchild.

From Siem Reap, I headed back to Bangkok. The transportation options from Siem Reap were the same as getting there. I got a $4 ticket for the tourist bus that was supposed to have air-conditioning from my guesthouse. Well, most of the buses had air-con, but the last one (mine) was covered with red dust on the inside, so I knew it wouldn't be a fun ride. Sure enough, the air-conditioning wasn't working and the windows were rolled open to let the gravel and dust in. Not a great experience, but not my worst bus journey either. After a couple stops, I made it to Poipet at 2pm to make the border crossing on foot, took a tuktuk to the bus station in Thailand and caught a government bus to Bangkok's Mor Chit station. The tourists on the bus from Siem Reap had paid $15 to get to Bangkok, but including tuktuk fare, paid about $13. Not bad considering I got there faster and with more leg room.

With little over a week left in Emily's stay in SE Asia, we made a dash for another beach; this time we headed to Ko Chang, a large island near the Cambodian border. Once again, avoiding the Khao San tourist traps, we headed to Ekkamai, the eastern bus station, and caught the last two seats on the 0745 bus to the Laem Ngop pier, over five hours away.
When we arrived, we were surprised that most people going to the island were on prepaid minibuses to their designated hotels and resorts.
Ko Chang is much larger and more developed than Ko Samet (i.e., there are paved roads). I settled on the main beach, Hat Sai Kaew, or White Sand Beach. The bungalow prices change quickly here. The Lonely Planet's recommended place has jumped from 500 BHT to 2000 BHT/night with air-conditioning. I guess that's the way with progress. I got a large bungalow away from the beach ensuite with fan and a nice porch.

No comments: