Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Tomb of Thieu Tri (1841-47)


Tomb of Thieu Tri (1841-47)
Originally uploaded by bastchild.

In the surrounding country side, there are tombs of Emperors. This one was free to go to. I rented a motorbike to get here. It is cheaper to rent a motorbike ($4) than to take a guided tour around Hue. When I got to this tomb, I parked my bike near a vendor, who proceeded to give me a numbered card for parking. I said, "No." I knew she would ask me to pay for parking (with no apparent need to pay since it wasn't her land, and she wasn't doing anything in particular to warrant payment). She looked somewhat surprised and said, "Tow." Yeah, right, like anyone is going to tow my bike away. This is yet another scam they try to pull on tourists. Robert and I were asked to pay to park at the Cham towers in Nha Trang, but instead he parked 20 feet away for free. So, I didn't take her ticket, and I didn't move her bike, and there was nothing she could do. Ha ha.
At this tomb, some guys in blue uniforms stood by a sign that said the place was being restored and entry was not permitted, but the guys said it was very beautiful inside and that we could look inside for a fee. Yeah,...riiiiight.
Anyways, I read the these tombs were built by the successors. The tomb grounds were quite elaborate with gardens and statues. Over the tomb was an enormous piece of marble about ten feet high with Chinese writing. Upon this was carved the accomplishments and virtues of the deceased. I suppose the hefty marble and the kind words were used to keep the dead Emperor from rising from the dead and haunting the successor.
Driving around Hue I came to an abandoned, unfinished amusement park. There was a large ferris wheel and even a roller coaster. It looked pretty new, but only gray primer was painted on the equipment. Weed was growing up everywhere, and there was no signs of construction. Another abandoned investment project.
Tomorrow I will take the overnight train to Hanoi. I have a sleeper car!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, where are my pictures??!!
Heading to Bali for the week and then NYC the week for bidnizz.

Mike T