Saturday, September 17, 2005

Nha Trang to Hoi An

From Dalat, I took a seven-hour bus journey to Nha Trang. It was hot and muggy down by the coast, but it allowed my clothes to dry out. I rented a motorcycle and cruised around a bit, visiting a deserted resort abandoned in mid-construction. Someone told me that this place cost $100 billion dollars, which hardly seemed likely, but that's what people say. Anyways, as often happens in corrupt countries, they let construction continue to attract more and more investors, then they ran off with most of the money, so the resort, in its partially built magnificence, lies by the beach, empty and deserted.
Last night I took the overnight bus from Nha Trang to Hoi An. The air-con wasn't working, so it quickly turned into a sticky, sweating delirium-filled night. I arrived in Hoi An this morning and slept.
It's mid-autumn festival tonight, so there are drums and dragons roaming the streets. I think the dragons (played by kids) are supposed to get money in their mouths. Anyways, it's an interesting twist on Halloween.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Enrico Pilatzo...
Just wanted to drop a note to say "YO", and to tell you how much we are all enjoying your photos. Please take care of your self, and we are thinking about you on your amazing journeys.
The Ikezi Clan