Monday, August 15, 2005

Bangkok!

I am in Bangkok now! I stayed in Mae Sot for a little longer than I expected revisiting friends and the clinic. As it turns out, a bunch of friends from Mae Sot were headed to Bangkok this weekend, so I joined the mass exodus. It's great! This is a place where I've not spent more than 12 hours on my five previous visits and never ventured beyond the airport, bus terminal, or Khao San Road area. This time I am staying at the Sukhumvit Road area, which is downtown near several air-conditioned malls, shopping areas, and go-go bars. It sure beats the backpacker ghetto of Khao San Road. I'm close to the skytrain, which connects to the subway and riverboats. The city is readily accessible! Bangkok's downtown is enormous -- a mixture of modern high-rise apartment and office buildings next to old two-story shops next to squatter's shantytowns with rusty corrugated tin walls and roofs.
We visited the weekend market, Chatachuk and Chinatown in one go. I am, it seems, a poor shopper, finding the shuffling aisles suffocating after an hour. Today we visited the Grand Palace for a peek and Wat Pho, with a massive reclining Buddha.
The weather has been warm and humid, which has made it perfect for the rooftop pool and bar, with great views at night. What a change from Mae Sot's daily deluge and neverending dampness. As a result of the rainy season, my clothes, after nine months of handwashing on the road, have acquired a funk that simply re-emerges whenever they get wet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

Thanks for the care package! The kids enjoyed the t-shirts and wild "pants" and wraps! We are taking lots of pictures but haven't gotten it all figured out yet!

Stay safe and enjoy!

Mary V

Anonymous said...

Eric!!

You visited Bangkok and didn't get to Phatphong! I went5 with Ben and Nana. It was 300 baht well worth spending (Not!!). The girls in the bar were doing their usual thing such as blowing out candles with their nether-regions and firing bananas and pingpong balls but honestly, it was sooo dull. Still, at least I can say I've been.

Take it easy and hopefully we'll meet again. Rob