Thursday, June 30, 2005

Myawaddy border control


The rare sight of asphalt in Burma. It slowly peters out the further you walk away from Thailand. There are fewer cars and more pedal taxis in Burma than in Thailand. It reminded me of being on the island of Flores in Indonesia a few months ago. I have been told that the capital of Rangoon is not much different. The people did not appear to be any different. I was told that when I entered Burma, I would be able to see why so many Burmese refugees came over to Thailand, but this wasn't the case. I guess some people underestimate how shallow I actually can be. I had been warned that I would feel a sense of the oppressive nature of the military junta state. This wasn't the case either. As far as I could tell from a brief visit to this border town, it was just any other border town in any other place in the world; there was an influx of money, goods, and opportunity coming and going.

No comments: